Work With Us!
Researcher (Canada Summer Jobs)
This is a summer position of 35 hours a week.
Salary: $20.00 per hour.
Eligibility for Canada Summer Jobs now includes all youth aged 15-30, and is no longer restricted to students.
Application deadline: Friday, May 13, 2022
Openly is a certified B-Corp™ company living into our impact goal of fueling the hearts and work of a million change makers.
We exist to support leaders across the social purpose, public, nonprofit and philanthropic sectors in achieving lasting social impact. The Openly Summer Student: Researcher plays a key role in realizing our commitment to excellence in living our vision, mission and values as a social purpose enterprise.
The Researcher’s key contribution will be to support the Openly team’s services to social purpose organizations by providing a range of administrative and research support. This role will report to a Strategic Implementation Lead and will support company and client projects by bringing strong research and project management skills.
Project Support (80%)
Contributing to research, evaluation and strategy projects through:
- Conducting academic and grey literature reviews
- Supporting meeting facilitation, including note-taking and managing virtual platforms
- Supporting data collection, including interviewing, focus groups, surveys, etc
- Completing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data
- Writing data summaries and contributing to final reports
- Communicating with clients and other external project stakeholders
- Coordinating work with team leads and other team members
- Communicating and working collaboratively with project teams
Administrative Duties (20%)
Participating in company initiatives to support our corporate and social purpose goals, eg: fun team engagement events, impact measurement, commitments to advancing equity, and learning opportunities
Key Qualifications and Competencies
- Exceptional research skills and experience, in both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Exceptional organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- Excellent client service skills and a commitment to building strong, effective relationships.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, supportive way with cross-functional teams
- Technological proficiency and ability to work in a fully virtual environment
- Capacity to manage multiple priorities and comfort working in a virtual office
- Post-secondary education in social science, humanities, business, or an interdisciplinary program, or equivalent job experience
Note: If you don’t have everything listed above but believe this role will make you excited to start work every day, please apply! We love curiosity, tenacity and learning.
As a Certified B Corp, Openly prioritizes social and environmental wellbeing in our workplace as much as in the community. We operate virtually with team members in various cities.
The Researcher can work from a home office or anywhere with a strong internet connection and cellular reception that enables them to be available and to work effectively, efficiently and participate in tele or video conference meetings. All staff provide their own phones and laptops with appropriate software and security applications.
Most work will be conducted virtually. Meetings with the executive and team members will usually take place online/by telephone.
A shared office at The Junction in Guelph is also available.
What We Offer
Openly is committed to a healthy, vibrant work environment that allows everyone to thrive.
- An opportunity to work with a company that has the expertise and heart of a big player combined with the spirit and flexibility of a startup
- A team that dreams big and strives to never settle for anything less than great
- Competitive base salary and bonus structure
- Strong belief in work-life balance
- A unique culture of teamwork and fun
- Salary: $20.00 an hour
Equity, Dignity and Justice at Openly
As a values-driven company and a Certified B Corp, Openly has made a public commitment to be a force for good, advancing equity, dignity and justice for all.
Openly is committed to being an employer of choice ensuring a safe and equitable work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, economic status, ability or age. We encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people who are gender and sexually diverse and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your accommodation needs, quoting the job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
To apply for this position please submit:
- a cover letter telling us why you are the right fit for Openly and this position; and
- a resume highlighting your relevant experience and skills.
Please direct your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: 13 May 2022
Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process is designed to centre around getting to know you better. We will be in touch with all candidates within two weeks from the last date of application to let you know if we are moving forward with your application. Selected candidates will be contacted via email.
All of our candidates who apply for positions at Openly are compensated financially with $75 per interview and with an additional $75 if they are asked to present a topic conversation in recognition of their labour for preparation and time.
1. First Interview:
In this 30 minute virtual interview with our Business Operations Lead and Strategic Implementation Lead, we will want to learn more about your work experiences and knowledge related to this role. Best way to prepare is to spend some time reflecting on all of your experiences, and competencies. We would like to know about –
- Examples of times when you have activated the key competencies required for this position;
- Your hopes for this position, why you’re drawn to it as well as what you’re mindful of in taking on a role like this.
2. Online Assessment:
This is a 30 minute self regulated assessment, to demonstrate your knowledge and approach to working with spreadsheets, analysis of data and writing data summaries. The best way to prepare for this will be to freshen up your knowledge about them.
3. Final Interview:
This 30 minute virtual interview will be with one of our Directors. This role involves working collaboratively with them and we want to create the opportunity for you to meet with them. This way, you can get to know the people you could be working with, and the problems they’re currently solving. This interview will be –
- A two-way conversation for you to determine whether the role would be a good fit for your personality/ skills and vice-versa.
- Address any questions or concerns you may have that were not clear from the previous rounds.
4. Decision and Reference Check:
Your hiring team will take the time to meet, and come back to you with a decision within a week. In the meantime, we would like for you to think of two references with whom we could connect to know more about you and their experiences working with you.
5. Offer and acceptance:
If successful in steps 1 through 3, we will set up a meeting to discuss the offer and negotiate terms within three working days. Should you accept the offer, on or before day 7 of the offer being made, we will connect with you to discuss your date of joining, begin the finance paperwork and onboarding process, including check with you on any technology, working ergonomic requirements.